Monday, January 10, 2011

Back on the beans...

I am on day 3 of my bean diet. It's difficult. Apparently beans aren't in very many things. Imagine that.

Part of the '4-Hour Body - Slow Carb Diet' means I have to replace my 'white' carbohydrates with beans, peas and lentils. I am still eating the same amount of carbs, but they are broken down more slowly, releasing sugar throughout the day, instead of the quick ups and downs caused by rice, bread, pasta and potatoes. I have actually felt a more even energy level through the day. I am just struggling with finding ways to actually eat the beans, especially at work when eating out. It's easy enough to eat enough vegetables and meat.

So basically the 30 day diet (that is supposed to help you lose 20lbs. in a month, yeah right) is this:

1. Avoid white carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes). Replace all of these with the above mentioned beans, lentils and peas.

2. No fruit or fruit juice. These contain huge amounts of sugar. Fruit juice (aside from protein shakes) is rarely recommended as a healthy drink as it is. If you want fruit, eat it, because at least your body has to break it down first.

3. Once a week have a cheat day. You can eat whatever you want this day, even junk. The idea is to spike your caloric intake so your metabolism doesn't just start to get used to the new way of eating and slow down. I won't be going insane as suggested in the book (KFC, chocolate bars, candy, ice cream) but will just use this day to eat what I've been missing all week. Like Pad Thai.

4. There is no calorie counting, so eat until you're full. You will need to up your vegetables to make up for the lack of white carbs.

5. If you do heavy exercise (a run, P90x) etc. you can eat regular carbs in the hour after to keep your energy up. This has actually encouraged me to workout, so I can have a peanut butter toast!

That's about it.

And in case you're wondering, it hasn't negatively affected me... ya know...

1 comment: