Sunday, September 26, 2010

Missing Home

I'm really missing Vancouver today for some reason. It's been another long week. I have a shot that is taking way longer than I expected so it's been calling for some late nights and weekend workdays. Teen took off for Cambodia at 3:30am today; we got very little sleep.

Yesterday Teen and I went on an excursion through Singapore to visit Little India. We decided to take the opportunity while we're here to check out everything Singapore has to offer; which is surprisingly more than I thought. It's kind of known for 'shopping and eating' and that's about it. There is a rain forest park in the center of the country (about a 1/2 hour MRT ride) that you can go on hikes up to 5 hours. Many interesting locations around to experience both in terms of nature and culture, so over the months we will be checking them out, recording them with my new Canon T2i, and posting videos on "Do the World". I started editing "Little India" today :)

Last night we met up with Rob, Janette, James and Vic and went for a little night adventure of our own. We went to Aljunied, the hooker MRT stop, not to check them out but to try an interesting dish of frogs legs. We arrived at the restaurant, passing crates full of live frogs, where they seated us at stained patio furniture in an alley occupied by a rabid cat. Rabies is my new 'obsession' since I pet a stray kitten the other day and have been concerned about the consequences ever since.

Rob and Janette ordered a pot of chilli frog legs, and we all sampled them. They were a cross between fish and chicken, the taste of chicken but with a more delicate texture. They were nothing to write home about, and I wanted to save my appetite for the Thai food that we were heading to for our full meal. A few pad thai's later, we headed out for some beers, squashing a few lounging cockroaches on the way.

We ended the night at James and Vic's, where I was poaching a copy of Maya, watching Departures on their new projector, aimed at the wall. Oh what a night.

We caught the extended MRT train home (due to F1 weekend) by around 1:30 where Teen proceeded to pack for her 6am flight. Neither of us managed to get much sleep before she got up at 3am to head out in search of a taxi. I got about 4 or 5 hours before I got up and headed to work for a long and fairly stressful day. I'm now indulging in two 750ml beers, watching old Departures episodes and thinking of home.

It's funny that just the other day I was thinking how interesting it is that you can travel half way around the world, plop yourself down and try to make a little life, and amazingly, despite all the differences, you just carry on. You hang out with friends, go to work, grab some beers and life isn't all that different. Then other days, I'll see pictures from home and just wish I could be there, watching the seasons change with you all, chatting on the couch til midnight. A year goes by fast, and a year goes by slowly... it all depends on the day.

5 comments:

  1. We miss you too! The year will go by in no time, just wait. Chat on skype soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to a skype chat! We can arrange a time soon, hopefully with Ellery too this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too me too!!! i miss you buddy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone should totes move to Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WRITES STUFF!

    You are missed. As are your witticisms.

    WRITES DAMMIT.

    ReplyDelete